Handling of Spillage of Materials
Spillage of any material shall be handled immediately when observed and effectively as per the procedure mentioned below :
- The personnel working in the concerned department shall immediately inform the Incharge of the concerned department about the spillage of material.
- The concerned department Incharge shall inform QA about the complete details of spilled materials.
- The personnel who shall handle the spillage wear proper protective dress such as aprons, hand gloves, masks,s and safety glasses to prevent the material is volatile or irritating to the nose and eyes.
- If the material is a solid one, then the same shall be collected with the help of a plastic scoop and a soft broom into a container for disposal as waste. In case of very fine powder being spread over a large area of the floor, then the floor may be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner. The floor shall be thoroughly cleaned first with a wet mop and then dried with a dry mop.
- If the material is a liquid one, the same shall be collected, with the help of a plastic scoop and a sponge, into a container for disposal as waste. The floor shall be cleaned first with a wet mop and then dried with a dry mop.
- If the material is sticky or greasy, the same shall be collected with the help of a plastic scoop and soft broom, into a container for disposal as waste. Thoroughly clean the floor first with a mop dipped in hot water and then dry it with a dry mop.
- If the spilled material is corrosive one (acidic or alkali) the same shall be neutralized with acid or alkali, as the case may be, before collecting with the help of a plastic scoop and soft broom into a container for disposal as waste. Thoroughly clean the floor first with wet mop and then dry with a dry mop.
- If the spilled material is a controlled substance, then the spilled material shall be collected in a polythene bag, which shall be closed tightly with a thread/rubber band and the same shall be weighed and labeled as under :
- Name of the material
- Batch No.
- Name of the Manufacturer
- date and Exp. Date
- Weight of Material
This polythene bag containing spilled material shall be kept near the container from which it has fallen off for inspection by QA. The details regarding spilled material shall be entered in the “Spilled Material Logbook” .
Spilled material shall neither be used in the manufacturing/testing of products nor shall it be disposed of as a waste material without the permission of QA. After getting the approval of QA, the material shall be disposed of as per SOP “Disposal and Destruction of Material” and details of disposing of materials shall be recorded in the respective Logbook.
Concerned department personnel must get proper training for handling of spillage of Material.