- General Safety in Microbiology Laboratory
To lay down the procedure for General Safety in Microbiology Laboratory.
This SOP is applicable for General Safety in Microbiology Laboratory of (Pharmaceutical Company Name).
- Microbiologist or above of Microbiology Laboratory: Preparation of SOP.
- Head – Microbiology section / Nominee: Checking of the SOP.
- Head – Quality Control / Nominee: Compliance of SOP.
- Abbreviations and Definitions
SOP : Standard operating procedure
No. : Number
QC : Quality Control
QA : Quality Assurance
LAF : Laminar Air Flow
- General safety procedures
- Every individual must wear a clean laboratory garments or apron inside the laboratory.
- Every individual must wear goggles while handling chemicals and face mask and gloves while handling microbial cultures.
- Upon entering the lab, and after finishing work, clean the LAF bench space with the disinfectant.
- Keep all sources of possible contamination out of your mouth–hands, pencils, laboratory ware, and other items.
- Do not drink or eat in the laboratory.
- Decontaminate and clean all contaminated equipment glassware such as pipettes, petriplate etc.
- Report accidents, such as a spilled culture or a cut, to the laboratory supervisor.
- General safety procedures
- Handling of Microbiological spillage:
- Spillage of bacterial / fungal suspensions and contaminated media shall be immediately poured with disinfectant solution and allowed to be in contact for at least for 10 minutes.
- Wear hand gloves and mask and clean up the spills with paper towels. Discard the towels and media materials in to a SS bin.
- Decontaminate (As per decontamination and disposal of used media SOP No.: QC-SP-332) the spills by placing the SS vessel in vertical autoclave.
- Disinfect the hands after cleaning of spillage.
- Handling of chemical spillage:
- Immediately after Spillage all the persons to be informed in the laboratory, ensure that they do not walk on the spillage.
- Person involving in cleaning must wear goggles, hand gloves and nose mask while cleaning.
- In case of corrosive liquids, put sand on spillage area, remove sand and discard. Clean with wet cloth.
- In case of powder or solid spillage they are to be discarded after dissolving in water.
- In case of organic solvents dry cloth mopping is to be done, solvent to be wiped and collected in a container to discard.
- For water spillage mop with dry cloth.
- Sample destruction:
- Do not discard any sample in powder form, all analytical left over samples to be dissolved in water and drained in sink.
- Samples which are not dissolved in water are to be dissolved in 10% NaOH solution.
Note: In case of any abnormal smell is detected vacate the lab and in form to Supervisor or Department Head.
- Forms and Records (Annexures)
- Not applicable
- Master copy – Quality Assurance
- Controlled copies – Quality Assurance, Production, Quality Control, Stores, Engineering and Human Resource
Reason for Revision
For More Pharma Updates Visit –https://pharmaguidances.com
Mr. Shiv Kumar is the Author and founder of pharmaceutical guidance, he is a pharmaceutical Professional from India having more than 14 years of rich experience in pharmaceutical field.
During his career, he work in quality assurance department with multinational company’s i.e Zydus Cadila Ltd, Unichem Laboratories Ltd, Indoco remedies Ltd, Panacea Biotec Ltd, Nectar life Science Ltd. During his experience, he face may regulatory Audit i.e. USFDA, MHRA, ANVISA, MCC, TGA, EU –GMP, WHO –Geneva, ISO 9001-2008 and many ROW Regularities Audit i.e.Uganda,Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe. He is currently leading a regulatory pharmaceutical company as a head Quality. You can join him by Email, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and YouTube